Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

Please welcome the new kid on Blogger -- Town and Cottage.
I wanted to start the New Year with the launch of Town and Cottage, a wellspring of ideas on interior design, architecture, art, music, cooking and traveling. Without further ado, let's reveal the first post for the New Year.

KISS open shelves and butcher block countertops
I cannot give enough praise to online sites, Pinterest and Houzz, and how enormously helpful they are for planning room renovations. Since I am in the early stages of wanting to plan a kitchen renovation, I browsed and pinned a number of pictures of open shelves and butcher block countertops on my boards on both sites. 
I had previously seen these pictures on http://acountryfarmhouse.blogspot.com/.
The 1938 cottage that I am renovating is short on space, so open shelves will be a consideration. I like the idea of looking through the doorway at the nicely displayed china, glassware and serving pieces. The Craftsman-style brackets maintain the integrity of the cottage's construction. Three shelves help make this design look well proportioned.

The second feature of this kitchen that draws my attention are the warm butcher block countertops. Various blogs have featured the IKEA butcher block counters. IKEA offers an oil for treating the countertops. For $89, the 1 1/2" thick 49 5/8" long Beech butcher block could help me stay within a reasonable budget. I'd like to know more about wearability.
As the process of planning moves ahead, I will be interested in how the next quote compares with my first design with all top and bottom kitchen cabinets and granite. In the times we are in, I am glad that bloggers share their successes. 


Remember to KISS in the New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment